Summary: Can’t edit Sony α7S II 4K recordings in iMovie? Aha, you have come to the right place. The editing problem with Sony α7S II recordings in iMovie will be solved in this article.
Sony α7S II is able to shoot 4K recordings. As we know, 4K recording has a
very high quality with a quite large file size. So in order to store and transfer 4K recordings more efficiently, XAVC codec was invented. Yeah, the 4K recording shot by Sony α7S II is encoded as
XAVC codec. If you find you can’t import and edit Sony α7S II 4K recordings in iMovie, the first thing we should check is what codecs and file formats iMovie supports.
From Apple official forum(page), we can see which codecs and video formats iMovie supports.
You can see XAVC codec isn’t in the list, so you failing to edit Sony α7S II 4K recordings in iMovie won’t be surprising. In order that you can import and edit Sony α7S II 4K videos in iMovie, I would suggest you to transcode Sony α7S II XAVC 4K files to Apple InterMediate Codec which is the most suitable codec for iMovie.
Here I’m glad to introduce an excellent iMovie Assistant to you - Pavtube iMovie Assistant. This iMovie Assistant supports the latest Mac OS X El Capitan and Yosemite. And it is able to transcode Sony α7S II 4K videos to Apple InterMediate Codec for iMovie. In addition to this, if you have need of editing Sony α7S II 4K recordings in FCP X, this App also can help you do that.
- Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.com/hd-video-converter-mac/
- Amazon Store Download: http://www.amazon.com/Pavtube-Video-Converter-Mac-Download/dp/B00QI9GNZS
- AppStore Download: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/pavtube-hd-video-converter/id502792488?mt=12
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-HD-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-76177786.html
How to Edit Sony α7S II 4K Recordings in iMovie
Step 1. Open the iMovie Assistant, and click "Add Video" or "Add from folder" button to browse and choose Sony α7S II 4K recordings or folder.
Step 2. In this step, click on the format bar and follow "iMovie and Final Cut Express" to choose "Apple InterMediate Codec(AIC) (*.mov)".
Step 3.(Only for advanced users) Click "Settings" to open “Profile Settings” window. Many parameters like bit rate, channels, and frame rate are adjustable here.
Step 4. When the preparations are done, click the "Convert" button in the main UI to start the conversion. Once the Sony α7S II 4K recording to Apple InterMediate Codec conversion is finished, you are able to import and edit Sony α7S II 4K recordings in iMovie with no problem. Enjoy!
Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac: If you want to edit popular BD movies in iMovie, you can try another software - Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac. This program can help you finish this ripping process to import to iMovie.
- Edit AMIRA SUP 3.0 4K UHD MXF files in iMovie
- Convert Canon XF200 MXF to AIC MOV for iMovie
- Import FDR-X1000V 4K XAVC S Files to iMovie/FCE for Editing
- Import Panasonic FZ1000 4K Video to iMovie for Editing
- How to Import and Edit Canon HF-R600 AVHCD with iMovie/FCE on Mac
- Edit ALEXA 65 Recordings to iMovie