Handycam is a Sony brand used to market its camcorder range. It was launched in 1985 as the name of the first Video8 camcorder, replacing Sony's previous line of Betamax-based models, and the name was intended to emphasize the "handy" palm size nature of the camera, made possible by the new miniaturized tape format.Qhile this camcorder shot the AVCHD MTS format which often meets issues when importing to NLEs for editing, such as iMovie or play on QuickTime, etc.
Here shows the instruction about playback Sony Handycam video on Mac:
1. Connect your camcorder to your computer through the USB or firewire port on your computer.
Note: Older camcorders will typically use firewire while more recent camcorders typically use USB 2.0. Your camcorder will come with the appropriate cable to connect it.
2. Put your camcorder in "play" mode. The switch on your camcorder should be directly beside where you power it on to record videos.
You are almost done! You can play MTS files back with using VLC media player for Mac or Mplayer OSX. Anyway, sometimes, you may still need to edit the Sony Handycam captured .mts in video editing programs such as FCP.
However, many people want to know how to import Sony Handycam MTS to FCP. That is because when Mac users recorded videos with Sony Handycam, they will find this AVCHD format is not supported by Final Cut Pro (including FCP 6/7, FCP X) for editing. The existence of incompatibility results in need for a third software Pavtube MTS Converter for Mac, a decent Sony Handycam Video Converter on Mac platform that can convert Sony Handycam AVCHD footage to FCP compatible format.
Step-by-step guide to convert Sony HandyCam videos to FCP best supported Apple Prores codec on Mac
1. Install Sony HandyCam AVCHD Converter for Mac. Run it as the best Sony HandyCam converter on Mac platform. Transfer HandyCam video to hard drive, and then click "Import" to add the handycam files you need into the program.
2. Click format column and choose the output format.
You can choose Final Cut Pro -> Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov), this codec is optimized for FCP editing Sony Handycam AVCHD files;
3: Click settings button to adjust the output video’s parameters, such as bitrate, resolution, etc.
4. You can edit the Sony HandyCam videos in this program before converting to Final Cut Pro on Mac OS. Trim, crop, add watermark or adjust effect as you want.
5. Start converting Sony HandyCam AVCHD video to Prores for on Mac.
Hit the “Convert” button to run the conversion from Sony Handycam AVCHD to FCP.
This best Mac Sony HandyCam converter will convert HandyCam recorded videos on Mac at top speed, you can choose rich formats for output on Mac, and then you can use handycam recorded MTS footages to playback, editing or sharing. If you need to edit Sony HandyCam AVCHD on Windows platform, you can try MTS Converter for Windows. Please take a try now, it will do a great favor for you.