Summary: Are you in trouble with editing Sony α7S II XAVC recordings in FCP X? Don’t worry. This guide aims to tell the reason in detail. And You will get some ideas to fix it after reading this article.
The 4K videos recorded by Sony α7S II are encoded as XAVC codec.
Theoretically, you will have no problem with editing Sony α7S II XAVC videos in FCP X, because FCP X is able to support XAVC codec natively. However, there still many users can’t edit Sony α7S II
XAVC videos in FCP X successfully. They said something goes wrong in FCP X when they are trying to import Sony α7S II XAVC videos.
OK now, there is one thing should be noticed when you try to import Sony α7S II XAVC videos to FCP X. You have to take the folder “XDROOT” on your card and copy it into an empty folder on your hard drive. It is very important that nothing else but the “XDROOT” folder is in this new folder on your hard drive. If you want to ask why, that will be the folder structure on the card somehow confuses FCP X. After all these work is done, try to edit Sony α7S II XAVC videos in FCP X again.
In order to make no danger of anything goes wrong with editing Sony α7S II XAVC videos in FCP X, I would suggest you to transcode Sony α7S II XAVC videos to Apple ProRes 422(HQ) MOV format which is the most suitable codec for FCP X. Here I’m glad to recommend Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac to help you to transcode Sony α7S II XAVC videos to Apple ProRes 422(HQ) codec. In addition to this, if you have need of editing Sony α7S II XAVC videos in iMovie, DaVinci Resolve, Avid MC, this App also can do all these work – convert Sony α7S II XAVC videos to AIC MOV, MPEG-2, DNxHD Codec.
If you want to know more about Apple ProRes, please check Types of Apple ProRes Codecs, Apple ProRes Info & Tips,Apple ProRes Specifications.
1. When converting Sony α7S II XAVC videos using Final Cut Pro X oriented format templates(e.g. Apple Prores), please ensure that your computer has Final Cut Pro installed, otherwise the converted files will have audio only without image.
2. If you are using FCP X, please make sure you have installed ProApps QuickTime Codecs, or you may get files with sound only without video.
- Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.com/hd-video-converter-mac/
- Amazon Store Download: http://www.amazon.com/Pavtube-Video-Converter-Mac-Download/dp/B00QI9GNZS
- AppStore Download: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/pavtube-hd-video-converter/id502792488?mt=12
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-HD-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-76177786.html
How to Edit Sony α7S II XAVC Recordings in FCP X smoothly
Step 1. First of all, transfer the “XDROOT” folder from Sony α7S II to your Mac.
Then click "Add Video" or "Add from folder" button to browse and choose Sony α7S II XAVC videos or folder.
Step 2. For editing Sony α7S II XAVC videos in FCP X, please click the format bar and follow "Final Cut Pro" to select "Apple Prores 422 HQ(*.mov)".
Step 3. At last, hit on the big "Convert" button in the main UI to start converting Sony α7S II XAVC videos to Apple ProRes 422(HQ) Codec. When the conversion is finished, you are able to import and edit Sony α7S II XAVC videos in FCP X smoothly. Enjoy!
Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac: If you want to rip BD movies our for editing in FCP X, you can try another software - Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac. This program can help you finish the ripping process very easily.
- Decode Samsung NX1 H.265 Videos to ProRes 422 HQ for FCP X
- Convert nanoFlash MXF to ProRes MOV for FCP
- Work Sony HDR-PJ440 AVCHD Videos with FCP X
- Tricks for Importing Panasonic DMC-CM1 MP4 to FCP for Editing
- Edit ALEXA 65 Christmas Recordings in FCP X
- Convert Sony PMW-200 XDCAM MXF to FCP Preserving Multi-audio Channels